Sunday, August 16, 2009

Welcome to the Portland Oregon SUP blog

Well here it is! Finally got my SUP Paddle Boarding Portland blog up and running.
To start I'll list my gear and a few spots I've been to.
I sold both of my surfboards and got an NSP 11" x 31" and a locally made Sawyer SUP paddle. Both were bought at Gorge Performance. (You can get them to hook you up with a Dakine board bag if you ask nice). Here's a review of the NSP 11" by Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine.

The NSP is a great starter board that will have a lot of longevity as you increase in skill level and at just under $1000, it won't break your wallet as bad as some other names. I tested numerous boards including Oxbow, C4, Gerry Lopez, and Starboard and I can tell you the NSPs are very durable, stable, and track very well for long flatwater paddling trips. In short- they are a blast. Where you may notice some performance differences is in surfing, (although I have taken my NSP out to Oswald West; also known as Short Sands, and had a great time dropping in on 3-4 foot peaks and found the board is pretty darned maneuverable for it's size.) If you have a lot of money to burn and high performance surfing is a must, you may notice better performance from the C4, Gerry Lopez and Starboard models; just be ready to spend $400-$500 more on them.

Flatwater spots that make great after-work paddles in the Portland Metro area and will also not have you coming out of the water glowing green:

1. West Linn off of exit 6 at HWY 205: The 10th Street boat ramp. One of the relatively clean places to paddle the Willamette and get some great exploring in. It's a very pretty place.

2. George Rogers park in Lake Oswego: Another great spot to put in and explore some of the more scenic parts of the Willamette in the metro area; Also still pretty decent water quality. Very pretty park with a nice long paddle up to Willamette Falls.

That's it for now. More to come!

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I had no idea what Paddle Boarding was until my gal pal invited me to go this Saturday. I Google d it while on the phone with her and I'm all over this! She reserved boards for Saturday for us both. She is a newbie but has done it now 5-6 times and raves about it. I think I just found something to call a real hobby and fitness fun. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Michael. I have seriously neglected this site. I'll have more updates coming soon. I hope you're hooked on SUP! I can't think of a more perfect all weather sport for the NW.

      -Matthew

      Delete
  2. I'm new to this sport and very interested! Can you paddle on lake Oswego?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Automatically coursesmart could quite possibly indisputably become famous extremely about offer potential customers, now for the fastidious content pages or merely imperative feedback. best inflatable sup

    ReplyDelete